Firefighters prevented two minor Decatur fires from becoming bigger problems Sunday.
The first fire was reported at 11 a.m. as police responded to a burglar alarm at 1818 E. Moore St. Dan Kline, a battalion chief with Decatur Fire Department, said the house was locked up secure and said that billowing smoke from an overheated bathroom ceiling fan likely triggered the alarm.
The homeowner of the single-story house was away, and firefighters forced open the front door to get inside where they quickly put out the fire. Kline estimated damage to the bathroom at $2,000.
The second fire call came in at 1:52 p.m. and involved a dryer full of clothes catching fire in the basement of a house at 744 W. Division St. Kline said firefighters carried the dryer outside before pulling the clothes out and extinguishing them. He said it wasn't known what caused the dryer to catch fire.